The Effective And Simple Dog Grooming Tips
A number of pet owners tend to assume that dog grooming is such a difficult and an expensive process that they have to hire a professional groomer all the time. They forget the fact that there are those processes that they can do without necessarily paying for the grooming experts. It is for this reason that you may find most pets go unattended to whenever the pet owners cannot afford to pay for these services.
Regular grooming is an important part of responsible dog care. Dogs are not human beings thus, they can’t groom themselves. As the pet owner, you need to take it as your sole responsibility to ensure that their dog goes through the necessary procedures at all times.
This will ensure that the dog is clean and healthy at all times. In fact, it is through these processes that you can easily detect any infections on the dog’s skin. Furthermore, this is a sure way of building a good relationship with the dog. But, before you begin the process, it is important that you consult a professional groomer or a veterinary officer. They will advise you on the right products that you should use during the grooming process.
Bathing and brushing a dog are some of the most common procedures that every dog owner should be well conversant with. They are the simplest and effective grooming process. This can only be possible if you follow the right tips recommend by professionals in this field.
Dog brushing tips
For a dog enthusiast, this is one of the very first processes that you need to learn at all cost. It is a better way to improve a dog’s coat. It doesn’t matter whether the dog breed has short or long hair. There is that time that you’ll be forced to brush your dog.
Regardless of the dog’s coat, brushing is an essential process that is effective when it comes to removing the dead hair. It is a reliable and effective way of distributing the natural oils on the dog’s skin. This stimulates the surface of the skin, making it clean and healthy. Moreover, it will make you become familiar with the dog’s body. This implies that you can easily detect when a dog has any abnormal conditions or infections on the skin.
How often should you brush the dog’s hair?
This should be a regular process that can be conducted for a number of reasons. Normally, the main purpose will be determined by what the dog owner would wish to achieve. For instance, you can brush a dogs coat to remove hair mats, help it shed its seasonal coats, etc.
You need to choose then right tool for this process. There are very many types of combs and brushes that can be used for this process. Remember, there are those that have been designed for general and special purpose applications. FURminator has quite a number of brushes that have been designed for different dog brushing applications. These include: dual dog grooming, small soft slicker, small firm slicker and large soft slicker brush amongst others.
Of course, there are a number of tips that you have to follow to ensure that the process becomes successful. These tips and tricks include the following:
- As you go about the brushing process, you must check for both bugs and ticks that may be in the dog’s skin. Remember, the brushing process aims at eliminating any foreign substances that may be on the dog’s skin. Some of these parasites are too small to an extent that you can barely notice their presence.
- You need to have a regular schedule on how you go about this process. This will ensure that the dog gets used to the process. You must determine how often you brush the dog and this will be determined by the length of the dog’s coat. That is, long coats may require daily attention unlike the short coats that may require weekly brushing.
- For dogs with smooth and short coats, you can use a rubber brush followed by a bristle brush. You can polish the coat using a chamois cloth.
- In case the dog has a short and dense coat, then you can opt for a FURminator slicker brush that can remove the tangles after which you can use bristle brush.
- If a dog has a long coat, then you can opt for a FURminator brush that are slicker to remove the tangles. The process must be gentle. Don’t forget to brush the feet and the tail. This is an important aspect for dogs with longer coats. It is one aspect that most people tend to forget as they go about this process.
Dog bathing tips
This is yet, another important dog grooming process. Unlike brushing, you should not bathe the dog regularly unless it happened to have gotten into something with a bad smell or dirt. This is for the reason that it will dry out the dog’s skin or even strip the natural oils from its body.
It is important that you use the recommended shampoo. A dog shampoo is very different from the human shampoo. So, do not make such a mistake. This is because it can irritate or affect the dog’s skin or coat. For instance, most experts recommend the FURminator Ultra-Premium Shampoo. To go about this process effectively, there are a number of factors that you need to consider and these include:
- You must determine the number of times a dog requires a bath. This may be determined by a number of factors such as the weather and the amount of dirt the dog is exposed to.
- Use the right shampoo to reduce the degree of skin irritation.
- Brush the dog’s coat first before the bathing process begins. This will make the bathing process easier and effective. It is advisable to use a bath mat.
- Use warm water and ensure you rinse the dog properly. Do not leave any traces of shampoo on the dog’s coat.
As a general rule, you must only groom the dog if you’re confident that you’ll accomplish the task without inflicting pain on the dog. In case you’re doubting any of the processes, it is advisable that you hire a professional dog groomer.